- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
What is RESTASIS?
RESTASIS® is the only prescription eye drop that helps increase your eyes’ natural ability to produce tears, which may possibly be reduced by inflammation due to Chronic Dry Eye. RESTASIS® Ophthalmic Emulsion did not increase tear production in patients using topical steroids or tear duct plugs.
Research has shown that Chronic Dry Eye (keratoconjunctivitis sicca, may also be called Dry Eye Syndrome) may possibly be the result of a functional problem in the tear-producing glands of the eyes. This reduces tear production, resulting in an insufficient amount of tears to lubricate or nourish the eye
How does it work?
RESTASIS® Ophthalmic Emulsion is the first prescription eye drop indicated to increase tear production which may possibly be reduced by inflammation on the eye surface in patients with Chronic Dry Eye.
- RESTASIS® did not increase tear production in patients using topical steroid drops or tear duct plugs.
- The approved treatment is one drop in the morning and one drop at night in each eye, every day.
- RESTASIS® Ophthalmic Emulsion helps increase your natural ability to produce tears, which may possibly be reduced by inflammation due to Chronic Dry Eye.
- RESTASIS® is believed to work on the inflammation to relieve it and enable greater tear production over time.
What are the side effects?
- The most common side effect reported by 17% of patients was ocular burning.
- Other side effects reported by 1% to 5% of patients included conjunctival hyperemia, discharge, epiphora, eye pain, foreign-body sensation, pruritus, stinging, and visual disturbance (most often blurring).
- RESTASIS® is contraindicated in patients with active ocular infections and has not been studied in patients with a history of herpes keratitis.